Frank Langella slams his firing, canceling culture as ‘not American’

Ousted Fall of the House of Usher actor Frank Langella has more than a few words for Netflix.

Langella has been banned from the upcoming show after allegations of sexual misconduct were leveled at the four-time Tony Award winner.

In response to Netflix deciding to part ways with Langella after an investigation into claims of “unacceptable behavior” on set, Langella wrote an open letter on Deadline on Thursday denouncing his forced departure.

“I’ve been cancelled. Just like that,” the 84-year-old actor began in a lengthy statement.

“With the mounting madness currently permeating our industry, I never imagined the word collateral damage would fall on my shoulders. They brought with them a weight that I didn’t expect in the last few decades of my career. And with that comes an unexpected sense of great danger,” he continued.

The “madness” he’s referring to isn’t international conflict or a deadly pandemic — but apparently “breaking culture,” which he called the “antithesis of democracy.”

Langella wrote that the “glory role” – one he thought would be his “last hurray” as Roderick Usher in Edgar Allan Poe’s classic, “was taken away from him by Netflix because of unacceptable behavior on set.” had”. The controversy prompted the ‘Frost/Nixon’ actor to hire ‘crisis managers’ and legal experts to ‘be professionally personable for $800 an hour’ – all telling him, ‘Excuse me. Excuse. Excuse.”

He goes on to detail the alleged wrongdoing.

“On March 25th this year, I did a love scene with the actress who played my young wife. We were both fully clothed. I was sitting on a couch, she was standing in front of me. The director called Edit. “He touched my leg,” the actress said. ‘That wasn’t in lockdown.’ Then she turned and left the set, followed by the director and the intimacy coordinator. I tried to follow her but was asked to “give her some space”. I waited about an hour and then I was told she wasn’t returning to the set and we were wound up,” Langella explained.

By his own admission, according to the play, Langella ignored instructions from the set’s intimacy coordinator on where to put his hands on his co-star during the scene — instructions he calls “absurd.”

“It was a love scene on camera. Legislating the placement of hands is ridiculous in my opinion. It undermines instinct and spontaneity,” he argued.

A human resources representative reportedly instructed Langella not to contact “the young lady,” the intimacy coordinator, or anyone else at Netflix, telling him they “don’t want to risk retaliation,” he claimed.

Pleading that they understand his hand deformity was not his “intention,” the spokesman reportedly said, “Intention is none of our business. Netflix only deals with impact.”

Frank Langella
The Oscar-nominated actor said he hopes his next role would be “his last hooray” – before he’s fired for allegedly inappropriate behavior.
Evan Agostini/Invision/AP

Langella then prefaced the allegations by characterizing his on-set demeanor as “light and friendly.”

“Nevertheless, these were some of the allegations: 1. ‘He told an indecent joke.’ 2. ‘Sometimes he called me Baby or Honey.’ 3. ‘He would hug me or touch my shoulder,'” he wrote.

But one producer reportedly told Langella that he “can’t do that.”

“You can’t joke. You can’t give compliments. You can’t touch. It’s a new order,” Langella said he was instructed.

The ‘Diary of a Mad Housewife’ star flipped her message to call the media’s initial account of the events “provenly false… a total lie”. According to Langella’s Deadline story, a number of details from TMZ’s initial report on the incident last month were removed or otherwise “corrected” on the site, including the removal of the actress in question’s name.

On April 14, Langella was “fired” without a “hearing,” he claimed, adding that his request for an “individual interview” with his accuser was “denied” and directors and producers “stopped” responding to his messages.

A full press release and a notice to the cast and crew was sent “within 30 minutes” of Langella’s sacking, he claimed.

The “impact” on his career was “unpredictable,” he emphasized.

“I’ve lost an exciting role, a chance for future income and may be on the verge of unemployment,” he lamented, adding that he’s “not yet fully remunerated” for the three months he’d already completed filming .

“Most importantly, my reputation has been tarnished,” Langella claimed.

“These humiliations are, in my opinion, the very definition of unacceptable behavior,” Langella continued. “A culture of demolition is the opposite of democracy. It inhibits conversation and debate. It limits our ability to listen, mediate, and share opposing views. Most tragically, it annihilates moral judgement.”

He concluded by saying, “It’s not fair. It’s not fair. That’s not American.”

Late last month, series creator Mike Flanagan (“Haunted Hill House”) announced that Langella was being replaced by “Star Trek” film actor and “dear friend” Bruce Greenwood.

The eight-episode miniseries, whose release date has not yet been announced, will also feature appearances from Mark Hamill, Carla Gugino (“Gerald’s Game”), Mary McDonnell (“Major Crimes”), Carl Lumbly (“Cagney & Lacey”), Henry Thomas (“ET”), Samantha Sloyan (“Midnight Mass”), Zach Gilford (“Friday Night Lights”), Katie Parker (“Absentia”), Michael Trucco (“Battlestar Galactica”), Robert Longstreet (“Septia”) and Annabeth Gish (“X-Files”).

Leave a Comment